Thread: What kind of kicker should I use for a 26 foot Sedan Cruiser?

What kind of kicker should I use for a 26 foot Sedan Cruiser?

I asked this question on the technical questions of the forum and haven't had a reply yet - maybe this is where I should post my question?

What HP kicker should I use for my 26 foot tollycraft sedan cruiser? Where on the back of the boat should I place it - Port, Center, Starboard? and what length should the shaft be - regular, long shaft, or extra long shaft? What are others using out there and what are the pros and cons?

Thanks very much for any information anyone can provide - Steve

Seems a few folks out there have 9.9 Yamaha 4 strokes. I moved my 15HP 2 stroke Johnson over and it can move the boat, but it's tough to steer with the tiller. I have not tried locking it in FWD and using the main steering/rudder to turn, but I'm told that's how to do it on some boats. I'm just not sure the Tolly rudder is large enough.
    I mounted mine starboard, since passengers typically sit port and the boat ends up listing that way.

Oh, I would say as long as you can get. Mounting my kicker mount just inches above the factory swim step and my old motor just barely reaches. I think it's a long shaft.
    Last edited by mikej; 05-18-2018 at 12:45 AM.

My kicker setup

I opted for a 9.9HP Merc 'bigfoot'. It's a little difficult to steer from the back - have to look through the cabin, but works very well. I installed a very heavy duty bracket (Garelick 71091) and actually ended up trimming one of the springs to make it easier to lower the motor. (not sure why my images are rotated)
    Attached Images Attached Images