Thread: Looking at a 37 Convertible - what to look for?

Question Looking at a 37 Convertible - what to look for?

I'm a newby to tollyclub but a long time admirer of Tollys. The survey for a 37 I looked at is next week and I was hoping for a bit of insight on what to expect in the survey and my likely future projects.
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...dard%20listing
    I've had several other 28-34' boats so know there will be work to do on a boat this old. The boat has been on Lake Powell since new and I'll have it brought up to Portland/Vancouver if the issues we find aren't fatal. The one thing I am completely unfamiliar with is the chilled water AC it has. There are 2 units mounted in the lazarette all the way aft on the starboard side.
    Any thoughts or experience anyone has on those and anything else about this model or tollys in general would be appreciated. Engines and generator are gas.
    Last edited by Canyon Fever; 12-03-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added link to the boat I'm considering

Blog Entries
    The price is amazing but, of course suggests issues. #1 and 2 would be the engines and the fuel tanks. I would say there is a better than 75% chance either or both need replacement. You need a first class mechanical survey, in the water.

3. transport form there will require removal and replacement of the fly brifge. THIS IS NOT A TRIVIAL ssue. You need to be sure the yard doing the work will make the new bridge water tight and will fix ans lectrical and cable issues.

4, While on cablke, simlce chack but cables this old ipten are very sticky. Also need ot assure there are no leaks, even slow ones, in the hydraulics.

5. On the AC, esp in the Lazarette, I woulds be 4+ skeptical of its condition. Lazarrettes often get wet. AC units this old would worry me.

6. Exterior., Sun damages gel coat. If it has not been maintained refreshing gel cost is $$$. Paint is an alternative but brings other issues.

7. I note the anchor. Unless you will be on sandy bottoms, that is nto useful. You need a bruce style anchor.

8. Tillies this age usually need new windows. Even oif no dmage is apparent you may wnat to price the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Fever View Post
    I'm a newby to tollyclub but a long time admirer of Tollys. The survey for a 37 I looked at is next week and I was hoping for a bit of insight on what to expect in the survey and my likely future projects.
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...dard%20listing
    I've had several other 28-34' boats so know there will be work to do on a boat this old. The boat has been on Lake Powell since new and I'll have it brought up to Portland/Vancouver if the issues we find aren't fatal. The one thing I am completely unfamiliar with is the chilled water AC it has. There are 2 units mounted in the lazarette all the way aft on the starboard side.
    Any thoughts or experience anyone has on those and anything else about this model or tollys in general would be appreciated. Engines and generator are gas.

Thank you for the input. I do expect some issues due to the price and age. I have spoken with previous owner who was very helpful and listed the issues he was aware of which were not serious if they have not gotten worse. Of all the issues to consider, the fuel tanks concern me the most as I've seen other posts about that. The survey is scheduled and we will run the engines and generator but that will be on the hard. I'm still working on the in the water part, it is winter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Fever View Post
    Thank you for the input. I do expect some issues due to the price and age. I have spoken with previous owner who was very helpful and listed the issues he was aware of which were not serious if they have not gotten worse. Of all the issues to consider, the fuel tanks concern me the most as I've seen other posts about that. The survey is scheduled and we will run the engines and generator but that will be on the hard. I'm still working on the in the water part, it is winter
    An engine survey can not be done on the hard and, probably nto a good test of the fuel tanks as well.

If they can nto get it into the water, even at that price, you might want to negotiate a contigency cost.

OTOH, these are great boats. The real issue may be how much of a project are you willing to take on ve what woudl you pay for boat that has been more updated? As one comparison our Tolly 34 tricabin is on sale for under 100k. BUT she has about twice that invested. The truth is putting diesels in, a very desirable feature, means a huge loss if you decide to sell and a huge benefit of buying a Tolly that has been updated.

Sp one way of looking at this as a worst case. If the engines are nto great enough, what would it cost you to go diesel or even gas vs finding a comparable Tolly where that work has already been done? I woould guess that you could find a diesel Tolly with engines well maintained in the 37 tp 40 ft range for under 100k.

Simlar issue arise in regard to the bridge. Before doign anything, talk with a good yard. We also moved our Tolly form Lake Powell and got badly effed by the yard the broker chose. So you need to ask could you find a gasoline powered Tolly in the area you wnat at a price low enough to make the ocsts of transport and the issue of a proper survey moot?

One last thing, by and large surveyors do nto so proper engine surveys. Get a good mechanic!

37?

Knowledgeable friend was on sight at Powell in October for this and another vessel.

His comment (not mine.). " a hole, awaiting big bucks to regenerate"!
    The vessel has been exposed to some freezing winters and 110F. summers, minus weather protective storage.
    It's a REPO because it is hard to see any economic feasibility; maybe, including the previous owner who walked..

A rhetorical question: What do you see in this transaction that they missed??

As a repo, an offer of $10,000 is very reasonable; considering all the potential cost exposures to haul, survey, ship***, upgrade and other "unknowns"! AND STILL HE WOULD PASS!

***consider shipping issues. Can you successfully ship with the flybridge in place? If not , the last quotes just to properly R & R the bridge was a whopping $8500. (To do it properly, the tech who removes should also be onsite to reinstall. ) This is on top of the shipping costs. However, there is a possibility it can ship in 1 piece.

Could this be a Vince Lombardi quote? ; " I can tell you what you want to hear; but I would rather tell you the truth"

Blog Entries
    One way top think about this productively is that it will be a project. If you think that way, then the next step woould be to get a real idea of what upgrades etc would cost. To d that you need to be assured of some pretty basic things:

1. the integrity of the hull and house. No leaks, not weak areas in the hull. A local surveyor should be able to answer those questions.
    2, Are wiring and plumbing systems in good shape? Again, A local surveyor should be able to answer those questions.
    3. Are deck fittings and windows in good shape? A local surveyor should be able to answer those questions as well.
    4. Is the gel coat and exterior fiberglass i good shaoe or reusable by compounding?

Then you need to talk to a good boat yard where you live. They can give you good estimates for all of these:

1. Gell coat and ext glass
    2. Windows .. probably form Bounty Marine
    3. Engine work ... cost to replace gasoline vs move to diesel
    4. Wiring, depending on survey.
    5. Plumbing , depending on survey.

At 10,000 .. plus the transportation, you would be putting out 20k. Take a look on Google to get an idea what comparables cost. If you get the boat for 20k and then get the yard work done for say 50k, then your total would be 70K but then you have a 37 up to your standards. The problem here is that at 50k you would still have gas and gas boats depreciate very rapidly. Personally, I would only advise this direction if you intend to go diesels.

Even then, with a good broker you can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by steve kraus View Post
    Knowledgeable friend was on sight at Powell in October for this and another vessel.

His comment (not mine.). " a hole, awaiting big bucks to regenerate"!
    The vessel has been exposed to some freezing winters and 110F. summers, minus weather protective storage.
    It's a REPO because it is hard to see any economic feasibility; maybe, including the previous owner who walked..

A rhetorical question: What do you see in this transaction that they missed??

As a repo, an offer of $10,000 is very reasonable; considering all the potential cost exposures to haul, survey, ship***, upgrade and other "unknowns"! AND STILL HE WOULD PASS!

***consider shipping issues. Can you successfully ship with the flybridge in place? If not , the last quotes just to properly R & R the bridge was a whopping $8500. (To do it properly, the tech who removes should also be onsite to reinstall. ) This is on top of the shipping costs. However, there is a possibility it can ship in 1 piece.

Could this be a Vince Lombardi quote? ; " I can tell you what you want to hear; but I would rather tell you the truth"
    Steve I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full; FYI

Although I would not argue with any of the comments made so far, I would add a few caveats based on my experiences owning four different Tollycraft boats over the last 13 years including our current 1985 37 Sedan.

It is very important to make a decision up front as to whether or not you are willing to take on an expensive project boat regardless of the brand or type. Most people are caught up in the excitement of the buying experience and never sit down to calculate the eventual cost to bring back a 40 year old boat regardless of what it looks like on a cursory inspection. There are many heartbreaking disappointments ahead that will cost your dearly.

If I had it to do all over again, I would pay a higher initial price to obtain a "turnkey" boat where somebody has already made the agonizing investments that i do not wish to be involved in later. Logic tells me in this case that you cannot expect to purchase any Tollycraft 37 for $10,000 or even $24,000 that does not require a further investment of $50,000 or more to bring up to even an average level of reliability and comfort.

Cruise Aire "heat pumps," as installed in many Tollycraft boats headed to California (or Lake Powell), are almost worthless here in the Pacific Northwest because they produce very little heat. When the raw water they are designed to extract heat from is only 48 deg. F to begin with, there is little heat to be produced. These units work somewhat better as air conditioners, but that is one feature most of us have little use for! On top of that they are expensive to repair and have a poor reputation for reliability.

With what little I can make out on Yacht World regarding this boat's condition, you are facing heavy mechanical repairs in addition to the obvious cosmetic issues with a boat stored outdoors in that climate. The $50,000 of work that is obvious will almost undoubtedly be doubled or tripled before you have a decent 37. Yes you will need new engines or full rebuilds, the windows will certainly need replacement and the electrical panel is outdated and most likely needs extensive reworking or replacement. You can almost bet the AC wiring is shot as it wasn't much good to begin with. Who knows what the toilet or holding tank situation might be.

If this boat by any chance only has an upper helm, its value in the Pacific Northwest will be immediately marked down by 30-40%. Knowledgeable boaters in the NW will insist on having a lower helm when the weather is bad and/or it is cold outside. Of course a lower helm can be added for a cool $20-25,000 additional investment.

By the way, I purchased a very nice 37 three years ago that had none of the issues you are facing and have so far spent an additional $100,000 in fixing what was hidden from view or did not meet my standards. If I had wanted diesel engines (which I do not) I could have added another $100,000 easily. Talk about financial suicide!

Sorry, pls check "YOUR" PRIVATE MESSAGE BOX--one more time Thanks, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mpstan View Post
    Steve I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full; FYI

Se note in private messages again, pls.

PM's not getting through

Sorry, several folks have sent me PM's but there aren't any in my inbox. Please try again. There was a delay is my account be activated which may be the cause of the problem. I was able to post my first message several days before I got the confirmation email.

Hi Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve kraus View Post
    Se note in private messages again, pls.

Steve is your PM box full? the site says it is
    Attached Images Attached Images